Monday, August 26, 2013
Our Digital Literacies Students are gathering a few digital pieces for their inaugural video editing samples. Here are some sources they are likely to find some useful pieces to work with:
- Digital Video from Archive.org - students will find a variety of clips including
- Old Commercials (I especially like the old car commercials.)
- Classic Television Shows (Such as "The Lone Ranger" and "Leave it to Beaver.")
- Royalty Free Music - with such categories as
- Images from Morguefile are always good, for things like
Friday, August 23, 2013
In our CM412 class (Intro to Digital Literacies II,) we will be tackling video editing soon. In preparation, we will explore some places we can find music, video, and images that we can use without threat of lawsuit. So, let's get underway by:
- Learning a bit about Copyright - and copyleft, and public domain, and Commons licenses. visit a blog entry here that will provide you with resources to understand these issues: http://limestonedigital.blogspot.com/2012/10/images-copyright-copyleft-copy-in-middle.html
- Exploring some permission-granted resources (Audio, Video & Images) at the Rhetoric Soup website: http://www.rhetoricsoup.com/digital-literacies.html
- Gathering material into a central location (folder, flashdrive, cloud location,etc.) to be used for a Sample Editing project - a 30-60 second commercial.
- Documenting the source for each picture, song, video clip, etc. - noting the source, the author, the license, etc.
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Welcome, digital literati of the 21st-century!
You will use this spot to check for assignments, find documents and other media, to link to your colleagues blogs, and to form a mini-network of fellow digital composers. (So, yes, in a way, we will make contact - with a brave new digital world!) Let's get started with a simple assignment that will help us connect to each other and establish a place to express our digital creativity:
Digi Lit II Students - Take Note - Complete Before Friday's Class:
|Getting Started with Blogger|
- Create a Blogger blog and customize it to your selection of colors, etc. (You will revisit and redesign it many times throughout the course - so just get something you like that is easy to use and easy to read.)
- Quick Tour of Blogger: https://www.blogger.com/tour_start.g
- Video Tutorial of Blogger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4s3wN_vK8
- What is my experience with digital media - e.g. blogs, websites, social networks, etc.? Particularly with digital video?
- How has my world changed since the introduction of YouTube? Can you categorize and describe some of these changes?
- How is online video (YouTube, Hulu, Amazon, Vimeo, etc.) different than television?
- What are some implications (social, spiritual, educational, professional, etc.) related to the brave new digital age that is shaped by our online connections, including video?